Sunday, February 21, 2010

GET OUT OF THE BOAT

I ACTUALLY WROTE THIS AUGUST FIRST BUT WILL SLIP IT IN NOW.


So I am reading in John Ortberg's book - "IF YOU WANT TO WALK ON WATER, YOU'VE GOT TO GET OUT OF THE BOAT", mainly because yesterday morning, Isaiah wanted to get out of bed before me and he was rummaging through the books on the shelf and pulled out this one and threw it at me!
(God has many different ways of getting your attention) :)

Anyway I began reading and realized that this is something that God has been teaching Duane and I over this past year and months.
I revisited the story of Peter walking on the water in the first chapter and a light bulb went on.
In a way it is the same message that I put on my status earlier in the week that God is interested in the process. This was just another puzzle piece.
I am going to copy a few paragraphs that made so much sense to me in this time of my life. It shed light on some of the reason Duane and I are going through some things right now. I found it profound in my life, maybe someone else will too.
I quote from his book:
"When Jesus came to the disciples out on the water.... he was revealing His divine presence and power. ....It is interesting that the disciples entered the boat in the first place at Jesus' command. They would have to learn--as do we-- that obedience is no guarantee of being spared adversity. But now that storm had their full attention,Jesus decided it was time the disciples got to know a little bit more about the guy who was piloting this thing.
"Its like this dudes", he reassured them. " You can trust me. You know my character and competence. You can safely place your destiny in my hand. Take courage it's me."... Matthew wants his readers to know that Jesus often comes when least expected--3am - in the middle of a storm..... 12 disciple sat in that boat, and we don't know how eleven of them responded to that voice. But one of them , Peter, was about to become a water walker. He recognized God was present- even in the most unlikely place. He realized that this was an extraordinary opportunity for spiritual adventure and growth. So he got an idea. He decided to do something religious. Peter blurted out, "If it is you, command me to come to you on the water."... This story is not about risk-taking, it is primarily a story about OBEDIENCE.
That means I will have to discern between an authentic call from God or what simply might be a foolish impulse on my part. Courage alone is not enough; it must be accompanied by wisdom and discernment. .... Put yourself in Peter's place for a moment. You have a sudden insight into what Jesus is doing- the Lord is passing by. He's inviting you to go on the adventure of your life. but at the same time, you're scared to death. What would you choose-- the water or the boat? The boat is safe, secure and comfortable. On the other hand, the water is rough. The waves are high. The wind is strong. There's a storm out there. And if you get out of the boat-- whatever your boat might happen to be-- there's a good chance you might sink.
... I believe there is something- Someone- inside us who tells us there is more to life than sitting in the boat. You were made for something more than merely avoiding failure. There is something inside of you that wants to walk on the water-- to leave the comfort of routine existence and abandon yourself to the high adventure of following God."

I WANT TO BE A WATER WALKER. I WANT TO ASK JESUS, "COMMAND ME TO COME TO YOU"

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails