Saturday, February 28, 2009

Gotcha day for Isaiah Revisited

The Day I first Saw Mukisa Isaiah

As I mentioned in my last post today is Mukisa Isaiah's Gotcha Day!
On February 28, 2008, God fulfilled a deep desire that I had hidden away in my heart. The desire to have a baby. Having been plagu
ed in previous years with issues and having had a hysterectomy a couple of years before, I had pretty much given up on this dream. I had been resigned to the fact that God had called us to adopt older children and I had become content with that. But when God Suddenly orchestrated the events that brought me Isaiah, I knew he had seen deep within me and wanted to show me he knew my heart even when I didn't expose it. Never before had I felt so loved by God. He was the only one who knew of this hidden desire. I still get overwhelmed at the thought of this precious gift. I am including parts of my journal here to celebrate that day that I got my baby!

Feb. 17, 2008: "After talking to HFU, they asked if we would be interested in a little baby whose health is not well. He is 20 months old but the size of 9 months. His mother died at his birth. I won’t go into his story right now but it was not good. Of course, my heart wanted to just take him but I told them that I would want to pray to make sure that it was God that wanted me to take him, not a whim of mine and I needed to talk with Duane. When I was able to talk to Duane , he couldn’t believe that I didn’t say yes, right away. As I was talking to him, he told me that he knew this child was ours and God has something great planned for his life. It was our responsibility to help him realize his purpose as his parents. That was the same thing I was feeling as I had prayed all day about the decision to take him. So….. We are getting a baby boy as well!!!!! His name is Mukisa Trevor. His birthday is May 17, 2006. We quickly started making calls to HFU to get info needed to file the applications. As well as phone calls to the States to have our home study amended to include more children. We are not sure if we can accomplish a court date before we leave but we would like to try to bring him home on the plane with us. We will see.
FEB. 21, 2008: "As far as pursuing baby Trevor, we have somewhat started on the paperwork for him. I received the passport photos of him that I had requested from HFU and my heart knew as soon as I saw him that he was mine. When Duane and I said yes to this child to become his parents, we hadn’t laid eyes on him by photo or person. In fact it didn’t occur to me to ask for a photo until several days after we said yes! He is very small and malnourished and has only been with HFU for one month. Though he is said to be almost 2, he looks like 6 month. He cannot walk yet as he has been carried on his auntie’s back as she worked. He is so cute!!!! His cheeks are swollen from the effects of the malnourishment but HFU says that they are going down somewhat. I only have passport pictures at this point but am hoping that I can get HFU to email them so I can post them. "

FEB. 28,2008: " Today is Feb.28 and I am a mommy
AGAIN!
Yes, God has blessed me with a baby named Mukisa Trevor! He is 20 months old but is the size of a 6 month old! He is so beautiful and I a
m in love! "
The day before yesterday, I was notified that Mukisa needed to come to Kampala for a physical. God had laid it on my heart to possibly have him transferred to a baby house here in Kampala where I could be near him and get medical help if he needed it. I did not know how or if I should bring it up to the missionaries here. Then the next morning on the 25th, Brenda, the missionary brought it up to me. I started crying because of the goodness of God. I texted HFU and asked them if they would think that the aunty would consider moving Mukisa to Kampala to UCOM to their baby house? They wrote back that yes, she agreed and would be there the next morning. Could I pick her up at the bus stop? This was a “SUDDENLY” gift from God. I did not even expect to see Mukisa until I came back to get him in a few months! Now I have him in my arms. God does what we never expect and gives us surprises! ( On the very next day, we discovered that due to some circumstances HFU will no longer be doing guardianships/adoptions and had Mukisa been left there another day, we would have never been able to adopt him) I am in awe at His love and goodness to me. So, the next morning Richard and I head out with the kids and go to a store to find some milk, porridge, baby clothes and diapers and bottles. I bought the only 2 outfits they had. We then headed to the bus stop and picked them up!

The Market and Bus Stop where we were waiting
on Mukisa and His Aunty
Searching out the window in the crowd for sight of them

Once again, That feeling of butterflies filled my stomach and I felt like I was in labor. Nervousness and anxiousness all mixed with excitement! Then Richard shouts, Here comes the baby! Well, amongst the thrones of people, I do not see him. But then I spot a beautiful young woman carrying a baby and I recognize Mukisa Trevor. He grabs my heart! He is so beautiful. They climbed in the van and we headed back to the guest house. He was so cute! The aunty did not speak English so we mostly smiled at each other. You could tell she was nervous and sad.

Mukisa was so cute, It was hard to contain myself and not just pick him up. He was a little wary of the white woman
My dear brother Mukisa Richard who was very proud that Mukisa isaiah carried his namesake

"We arrived at the guest house and went in and John arrived to handle all the paperwork. After talking sometime and getting all the correct info, Mama Beatrice who will be the foster mom for Mukisa came in and met her. We took lots of photographs and then it was time to say goodbye. This was very hard. My heart ached for the aunt because she loved the baby very much. But there was no possible way she could keep him. A widow herself and young she had no means. Even her family had disowned her for taking care of Mukisa and for not killing him. As she drove away, I could tell she was fighting back the tears and my heart broke for her as tears streamed down my cheeks. As the van pulled away, we turned to go into the house. I know this baby is meant for great things, I am honored God put him into my arms to raise. Oh, May I be a godly mother to him! "

The Aunty, Betty with Isaiah. She was so sad

Signing papers to release Isaiah to UCOM

Mukisa Isaiah meeting Mama Beatrice the foster mom

Esther with Mukisa, Aunt Betty, Me and Allenni and Andrew
There is more to Isaiah's story and you can visit my other blog to see the story of his little life.
My heart longs to hold him in my arms again and I pray that it will be very soon. "Oh, God hear my cries for my little one!"



1 comment:

Keltie said...

I am in tears right now. You know how every once in a while, God will just show you a glimpse of something beautiful and it just verifies your path? As you might know, we were going to name our Ugandan son Isaiah. I always thought that was awesome that we had chosen the same name as you. Then we lost him because of lies and corruption. Today we were referred a baby boy. His name is Mukisa. God is so great.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails